Colby Co. is a privately held, midsize design firm specializing in architecture and mechanical, structural, electrical, fire protection and civil engineering. Forty-two employees strong, Colby Co. is noted for its commitment to technical and service excellence and a fun, flexible, rigorous work environment. The company works on a variety of interesting projects throughout the US and Canada for diverse client base including commercial and government contracts. With engineering and architects on staff, the focus is on collaboration and communication to deliver outstanding work for the client.
Founded in 2008, Colby Co. has grown steadily with its commitment to finding creative and appropriate solutions for its clients and creating a challenging and supportive work environment for its 40+ employees. Named a “Best Place to Work” in 2018, Colby Co. treats its employees like professionals and supports work life balance with a generous time off program, and company perks like State Park passes, paid days off for volunteering, and company outings.
The Accountant will be a key partner to the team in ensuring timely and accurate financial transaction recording and reporting and analysis to support sound business decisions. This position reports to the CEO.
Bookkeeping and Accounting Responsibilities
- Getting the numbers right is the first step in a strong accounting system. This position will be responsible for timely and accurate entry of all bookkeeping entries supporting AR, AP, and general expense in QuickBooks. In addition, the position will ensure that all account balances are correct, bank/credit card statement reconciliations are completed timely, and journal entries are created as needed.
- Work closely with the external accounting firm to ensure that they have the information required for timely filing and reporting, and general business support.
- Responsible for timely bi-weekly payroll processing and reporting in ADP. Work closely with managers and employees to ensure timely and efficient submission of time reporting for both payroll and job costing.
- Accounting processes at Colby Co. are based on project income, expense and profitability, so this position needs to understand and develop strong accounting processes around client billing and compliance with contract terms; vendor and purchase order management; and accurate accounting and allocation of overhead expense.
- Maintaining strong client and vendor relationships is a core value at Colby Co. so this position will work closely with the CEO to initiate client communications on past due invoices and manage vendor/sub-contractor billing issues.
- Project managers, department heads and ownership will look to this position as a partner for reporting and analysis to understand project profitability, project expense, and resource components to improve profitability.
- This position will be a key partner and resource to support the budgeting and forecasting processes by providing structure, and the required information to monitor and respond to trends and opportunities to ensure that appropriate resources and staffing are in place to support the project pipeline.
- The accounting role is a customer service role, ensuring that internal customers have the information they need to make good financial decisions, and finding ways to create user-friendly, streamlined accounting and data reporting processes.
- The position will provide support on special projects as needed by the management team.
Benefits Administration and General HR Support
- Colby Co. is committed to providing a competitive benefits package to all its employees. This position will be responsible for benefits administration and serving as a resource to employees for benefits questions and assisting in resolving issues while maintaining confidentiality. The position will also partner with owners to evaluate benefit renewal options and conduct financial analysis to support decisions.
- Maintain personnel files and records in compliance with state and federal laws, ensuring confidentiality and protecting employee information.
- Set up and maintain systems for timely EEO and Affirmative Action reporting.
- Maintain Employee Handbook to reflect current internal policies and local, state and federal requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting, or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of experience in bookkeeping/accounting.
- Knowledge of job/project costing helpful.
- Experience with US government contract terms and accounting requirements helpful.
- Experience with bookkeeping and payroll software, e.g. QuickBooks, ADP.
- Familiarity with HR processes and systems such as personnel files and employee policies.
- Advanced skills in Excel and Access to generate reporting and analysis.
- Ability to understand and maintain confidentiality requirements regarding company financial and personnel information.
- Ability to work independently to meet deadlines and prioritize work to meet company needs.
- Demonstrated customer focus and understanding of how to meet requirements of internal and external customers.
- Positive attitude and flexible approach to work.
- Ability to represent the company in a professional and tactful manner when dealing with customers, vendors and suppliers.
Colby Co.’s office is located in the heart of downtown Portland, Maine. With a metro area of 500,000, Portland offers a wide variety of professional opportunities, cultural activities and outdoor events in an accessible and affordable setting. Portland has recently been recognized by a number of national publications for its unique character and quality of life:
- #1 Most Livable City: Forbes
- #8 Best Restaurant Metro Area in the US: Huffington Post
- #10 Healthiest City for Women: Women’s Health Magazine
- #1 Best City in the US for Your Second Act: Kiplinger Personal Finance Magazine
- #3 Best City in the US for Families: Parenting Magazine
- #7 Greenest City: Travel and Leisure
- #6 Best City for Job Prospects
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Colby Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.