Colby Company is a midsize design firm specializing in architecture and mechanical, structural, electrical, fire protection and civil engineering. Forty employees strong, Colby Co. is noted for its commitment to technical and service excellence and a fun, flexible, rigorous work environment. Located in the vibrant small city of Portland, Maine, Colby Co. offers a balance of opportunities for working and living well.
We currently have an opening for an Architect responsible for providing designs and coordination for Colby Co.’s architectural design projects. We are looking for an individual who can learn to prepare plans and coordinate drawings for a broad range of architectural designs and coordinate with multiple engineering disciplines. The successful candidate will be a quick, flexible thinker and problem-solver who can demonstrate experience working as a team member to meet tight deadlines.
This position is a part of the Architectural Department which is comprised of Registered Architects and Architectural Designers. Additionally, Colby Co. offers mechanical, fire protection, electrical, structural, and civil engineering with our in-house staff. The new and renovated building design projects range in size from $50,000 to $60M in construction value for State, Federal, Industrial and Commercial clients.
- Research, plan, and design a variety of building projects
- Provide technical guidance and coordinate with the technical team, including civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, and fire protection engineering
- Work with project team to prepare presentations and produce documents from schematic design through to the construction phase
- Conduct and document site visits, process submittals, substitution requests, and RFI’s during construction
Desired Traits and Requirements
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architecture
- 8+ years of project experience in an architectural practice
- Licensed or registered architect
- Working knowledge of building codes, standards, building construction, and building structures
- Proficient in current version of AutoCAD, Revit, SketchUp, and Adobe Creative Suite
In addition to our insurance and retirement benefits package, Colby Co. offers two paid volunteer days a year, paid educational reimbursement, summer hours, paid time off (PTO), flex time, educational company outings and great co-workers.
Colby Co.’s office is located in the heart of downtown Portland, Maine. With a metro area of 500,000, Portland offers a wide variety of professional opportunities, cultural activities and outdoor events in an accessible and affordable setting. Portland has recently been recognized by a number of national publications for its unique character and quality of life:
- #1 Most Livable City: Forbes
- #8 Best Restaurant Metro Area in the US: Huffington Post
- #10 Healthiest City for Women: Women’s Health Magazine
- #1 Best City in the US for Your Second Act: Kiplinger Personal Finance Magazine
- #3 Best City in the US for Families: Parenting Magazine
- #7 Greenest City: Travel and Leisure
- #6 Best City for Job Prospects
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Colby Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.