Colby Company is a midsize design firm specializing in architecture and mechanical, structural, electrical, fire protection and civil engineering. Fifty employees strong, Colby Co. is noted for its commitment to technical and service excellence and a fun, flexible, rigorous work environment. Located in the vibrant small city of Portland, Maine, Colby Co. offers a balance of opportunities for working and living well. Colby Co. has been named to both the 2018 and the 2019 “Best Places to Work in Maine” lists, ranking as the #3 Small Business in 2019.
We currently have an opening for an Architectural Designer responsible for providing designs and coordination for Colby Co.’s architectural design projects. We are looking for an individual who can prepare plans and coordinate drawings for a broad range of architectural designs and coordinate with multiple engineering disciplines. The successful candidate will be a quick, flexible thinker and problem-solver who can demonstrate experience working as a team member to meet tight deadlines.
This position is a part of the seven-person Architectural Department which is comprised of Registered Architects and Architectural Designers. Additionally, Colby Co. offers mechanical, fire protection, electrical, structural, and civil engineering with our in-house staff. The new and renovated building design projects range in size from $50,000 to $90M in construction value for State, Federal, Industrial and Commercial clients.
- Research, plan, and design a variety of building projects
- Coordinate with the project team, including civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, and fire protection engineering
- Collaborate with the Architectural Department to prepare presentations and produce documents from schematic design through to the construction phase
- Conduct and document site visits, process submittals, substitution requests, and RFI’s during construction
Desired Traits and Requirements
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architecture
- 0 to 2 years of project experience in an architectural practice, internships considered as experience
- Desire to learn building codes, standards, building construction, and building structures
- Proficient in current version of AutoCAD and/or Revit, SketchUp, and Adobe Creative Suite
In addition to our insurance and retirement benefits package, we offer two paid volunteer days a year, paid educational reimbursement, summer hours, paid time off (PTO), flex time, educational company outings and great co-workers.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Colby Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.