Colby Company Engineering is a midsize engineering and architecture firm specializing in fire protection, mechanical, electrical, structural and civil engineering and architecture. Forty-five employees strong, Colby Co. is noted for its commitment to technical and service excellence and a fun, flexible, rigorous work environment. Located in the vibrant small city of Portland, Maine, Colby Co. offers a balance of opportunities for working and living well. Colby Co. has been named to both the 2018 and the 2019 “Best Places to Work in Maine” lists.
We currently have an opening for a Fire Protection Engineer with 5+ years of building and industrial experience in a consulting engineering design firm setting. We are looking for an engineer who can perform a broad range of fire protection engineering designs including building and life safety code analysis, fire protection (fire alarm, sprinkler and special hazard systems) and mass notification on commercial, institutional, and industrial projects. The successful candidate will bring a deep, successful track record of design, quality control and construction administration. In addition to an outstanding technical skillset, s/he will be a quick, flexible thinker and problem-solver who is accustomed to working in fluid teams on tight deadlines.
This position is a part of the MEP Engineering Department which is comprised of fire protection, mechanical and electrical engineers. Additionally, Colby Co. offers structural, civil engineering and architecture with our in-house staff. Projects range in size from $50,000 to $90M in construction value for State, Federal, Industrial and Commercial clients.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD
- Experience with Code Consulting, Performance Based Design, and Fire Protection System Design
- Strong knowledge of building systems, including MEP
- Successful completion of the FE exam
- PE License a plus
- Experience with HydraCAD a plus
- Experience with Revit a plus
- Sustainable design experience a plus
In addition to our insurance and retirement benefits package, Colby Co. offers two paid volunteer days a year, paid educational reimbursement, summer hours, paid time off (PTO), flex time, anniversary bonuses, educational company outings and great co-workers.
Colby Co.’s office is located in the heart of downtown Portland, Maine. With a metro area of 500,000, Portland offers a wide variety of professional opportunities, cultural activities and outdoor events in an accessible and affordable setting. Portland has recently been recognized by a number of national publications for its unique character and quality of life:
- #1 Most Livable City: Forbes 2009
- #8 Best Restaurant Metro Area in the US: Huffington Post 2013
- #10 Healthiest City for Women: Women’s Health Magazine 2013
- #1 Best City in the US for Your Second Act: Kiplinger Personal Finance Magazine 2012
- #3 Best City in the US for Families: Parenting Magazine 2012
- #7 Greenest City: Travel and Leisure 2012
- #6 Best City for Job Prospects: 2012
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Colby Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.