Colby Co.’s structural engineering department provides field investigations, analysis, design, and construction oversight for new and renovated buildings, federal and municipal buildings, manufacturing facilities, power plants, heavy industrial applications, specialty naval infrastructure, boilers and other structures.
Colby Co.’s structural staff has over 100 years of combined experience in a wide variety structural engineering projects including existing building structural analysis, feasibility studies, new building design, foundation design, condition assessments, façade investigations, blast resistance, progressive collapse, machine foundations, pipe/conduit bridges, and specialty engineering.
With engineers licensed in 34 states and the District of Columbia as well as five Canadian provinces, two Model Law Structural Engineers as recognized by NCEES, and active involvement and leadership in national technical societies, Colby Co.’s structural engineering department is equipped to tackle the most challenging structural engineering and logistics problems, while providing responsive, coordinated service across disciplines, on time and on budget.
Beyond analysis and design of existing structures, complex renovations, new building design (steel, reinforced concrete, precast, masonry, and wood), and foundation design (including static and dynamic design of industrial machine foundations), Colby Co.’s structural engineers have experience with fuel cells, photovoltaic systems, trash to energy plants, boiler design, solar energy systems, and sculptural support analysis and design. Colby Co. is able to coordinate and deliver multi-disciplinary construction documents via Revit, while utilizing linked digital analytical and physical models to streamline the design process.
During the entire design process from conceptual design through construction administration, Colby Co. provides structural engineering services with an eye towards long-term client satisfaction, sustainability, and building performance.
Complex Renovations and Condition Assessments
Colby Co.’s structural department is experienced in design, analysis, and construction administration for a wide variety of existing conditions. Our engineers understand the phasing challenges associated with continued occupancy for renovations that retain the original building function, while also being able to provide sustainable solutions for repurposing an existing facility.
Some projects don’t fall easily into a category. Colby Co. has experience with many such projects working with an array of clients – from helping artists with their installation needs, to boiler mechanical and structural design, electrical and structural components of PV systems, trash-to-energy, construction and rigging engineering, staging design, fall protection design, building envelope and façade investigation, and everything in between.
Colby Co. provides support for Facilities staff in all disciplines, with the intent to serve as an extension of that staff’s capacity and capabilities. We provide design, cost estimation and logistic support for planning and programming changes needed to adapt to changing market demand, add new capabilities or update equipment, as well as design help for these new processes and equipment. And, when things don’t go as smoothly, emergency help for damage to buildings, equipment and structures.
Recent Projects Include:
- Design of $40M dockside support complex at a Naval Shipyard
- Design of $60MM Paint, Blast and Rubber Facility at a Naval Shipyard
- Design of a $20MM industrial facility with a clear bay that is 110’ wide by 298’ long and contains two 200-ton bridge cranes with doors at each end that are 100’ wide for a manufacturing client
- Design of $6MM outfit support towers that are 180 feet long, 14 feet wide at the base, and consist of five (5) full decks with the top deck 66 feet above base line for a manufacturing client
- Analysis of an existing building structure to support 800-ton bridge cranes for a manufacturing client
- Design of a new $8MM retail and service facility for a manufacturing client
- Design of the structural support system for equipment makeup air units, manufacturing equipment, labs, tool trench support areas, and waffle slab analysis for heavy industrial clients
- Renovation of over 200,000sf of retail space
- Structural design for Heat Recovery Steam Generator (HRSG) with the largest boiler column designed at 36″ deep, with 3″ flanges and supporting loads up to 1,400,000 lbs
- Structural analysis and design of supporting frames for package boiler designs, including pressure vessel/water walls and tubing design